Wednesday, December 4, 2013

art supplies

 
(I am not paid by any of these brands to represent them in any way, this is simply because I know people need guidance, these are just the supplies I like to use)


When I was first starting out I found it very difficult to figure out exactly how to do this. I had absolutely NO experience painting so I had no idea what to buy. I found myself reaching out to other artist's by email and some of them answered me. I would ask silly questions but things I just needed to know such as what kind of paint do you use or how to you box and ship a painting? So because I now get these kinds of emails all the time I am going to do a quick resource guide with links to the actual products I use when I paint.

I hope it helps!


PAINT

When I first started, I bought the most expensive paints because I thought that's what I needed to do. But after much trial and error and not enough funds issue...I found that I could use several types of paint and they all achieved the same thing. If I am painting a large painting or even a small one, the under coats are mostly craft paint (which is acrylic paint) or tubes of paint. My favorite brand of small craft paint is ceramcoat which I buy only from Hobby Lobby. They have an amazing selection of colors and I just love the way the paint moves and the consistency.  I get it all when they do their 30% off on paint.

*** I only use acrylic paint. And I only use materials that are archival and acid free etc because for fine art, it has to last a million years ;) I always seal my paintings with a high gloss or satin varnish.


I buy tubes of paint from Michael's. I like the artist loft and artist brand tubes.  I use Golden Fluid Acrylics from Dick Blick online. So basically I use all kinds of paint at different levels based on what I am trying to achieve. The more expensive the paint group, the more highly concentrated pigment it has which is why I use cheaper paint for undercoats. You wont ever see! I use the more expensive, higher pigmented paint for details or just when I need it.

CANVAS

I started out using canvas that was cheap and accessible and that I could paint on, practice techniques on and mess up on and not feel bad. But things have changed....

I ONLY buy my canvas from Dick Blick art supply online.
This is the kind of canvas I use.

BOXES

Now this is tricky because I have tried several different things and this is all trial and error but for my wood and smaller pieces I use these.

I have found a great local box company where I buy boxes for my large pieces. They are located in San Antonio !  And if they don't have the size I need, I hire my local UPS to make one for me out of sheets.

BRUSHES

There is no secret here. I don't even have a preference. I have a very heavy hand a find that I go through brushes quite often... I am more of a large scale painter, not into detail much so mostly I use impasto tools and my hands to paint instead of brushes. I do use sponges a lot though and go through them weekly. But when I do need a brush, believe it or not Martha Stewart Brand brushes are my favorites.


MEDIUMS

I use a lot of texture gels and mediums to achieve different things.

this one is my favorite.



NOW GO PAINT!


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. You're such a sweetheart to share all of this. I have almost emailed you or asked on IG about what you use, but then thought you might not welcome the questions. I should have known better, because it's very clear where your heart is when reading your IG feed. Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete