Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My political party does not define me



Im so unqualified for this. My goodness.

Never in a million years would I have thought this is where I would end up. I never thought that God could take such an ugly life, such an ugly girl and bring her out of her own darkness and into the light.

In my morning conversation with my husband this morning we talked a little about politics, as we usually do.

I am a conservative Republican.

But I'm not what you think. I am not what you would call the stereotype of one. Yes, I am a white female, did not grow up in poverty. I am married to a man and we have 2 kids.

I am a conservative republican who has had an abortion.

I am a conservative republican who has battled addiction.

I am a conservative republican who once was on food stamps.

I am a conservative republican who once laid in bed for a whole year because of depression, while my husband, at the time boyfriend, went to work and supported me.

I am a conservative republican who lost her virginity at the age of 14 and most certainly did not save myself for my husband.

I am a conservative republican who has been taking advantage of sexually and exploited.


My life is not about being a republican. Its about my savior.

But the question I asked myself this morning was how could I possibly defend being a republican without my savior? I just don't know how.

What you don't know is that I have been where you are.

You believe in abortion because you have been raped and you want women to be able to make choices for their own bodies?

Been there.

You believe in social programs to provide financial help for those in need?

Been there.

I would like to grab your hand, throw my arms around you and talk like we are two people. I want you to see my crying right now. I want you to see me understanding they whys behind your stance. I want you to know that I don't think you are any less than I am. I get you.

And what I want you to see is how giving my life to my savior was the answer for me. No welfare could have gotten me here, opening my own business.  No jail sentence could have redeemed my soul. No abortion could have taken away the pain I felt in my soul or the cycle of abuse I put my own self under because I was so broken and lost I let sex be a payment I made to anyone who would pay attention to me.

And then Jesus paid attention to me.

He took it all away.

I think the  biggest misconception about being a Christian is that you must change your ways to meet Jesus.That you must understand and follow all the rules to be accepted by God. And believe me, if I had to change my ways to meet him I would still be wandering around in the desert.

Jesus changed me.

I do not believe in abortion because I now see the value in human life. I once did not even see the value in my own. I believe in trusting in a savior to be my provider and show me the answers to my life's challenges. I believe that because he created me, he has a plan for my life and I am not stuck wandering around aimlessly chasing after things that weren't mine to begin with.

If he created me, he cares for me, and he is my answer.

My political party does not define me. My race does not define me. My financial status does not define me.

My creator does.

I value your opinion. I honor your stories. I am eager to hear your position.

 One thing I cant do is defend my position without Jesus Christ.

He saved me.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment