Wednesday, January 30, 2013

We can do hard things

 Recently I have made a commitment to exercising in the early morning. A friend of mine has been meeting me at 8 am for a run/walk three days a week. Between the two of us we have 4 kids, 2 in each stroller. Today, I knew it was going to be a challenge. I am used to working out in the afternoon when its a little warmer, less windy, less of everything really. I have been up since 4:30 reading and doing some work and 7:30 came around and I got a text that she wasn't going to make it. I had just gotten the kids up and dressed and I was ready to go...so I had to make a choice.

I chose to tough it out. Not much of a choice for me but it was one I had to make for my kids. I guess there is something inside of me that has recognized how my parenting will effect their spirits. How my choices ultimately effect them but more importantly, they are watching me. They see what I do all day. They pay attention to the choices I make. Everything inside of me wanted to say don't go, its too cold, they will be pissed...protect them. Its my instinct, to do everything I can to shelter them from everything and anyone who will hurt them or make them uncomfortable. But you know what? This is not the reality of this evil and cruel world. The truth of the reality we live in is things are thrown at us all day long that are meant to hurt us and make us feel very uncomfortable.

I bundled them up, and asked if they wanted to go or not. They said yes. I praised Grace for making that choice and honoring my commitment and off we went, wind in our face and all. The whole time I praised her for being tough. I honored that she was a little uncomfortable but told her that she had a reward coming.





 

I might have had to make her smile

 
And my goodness, we turned direction finally and the sun was shining and the end was in sight. We only went one mile but the tangible moment where uncomfortable met us with hot sun and the end of the road is a lesson I hope to pass on to both my girls...each day, the sun will meet you. Each day, there is a plan for your redemption. 
 
 
 
And then we have the reward. The goofy photo that shows some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and cheerios. So proud of my girls today for hanging in there. Grace and Lucy, if you are reading this one day, I was proud of you today. You were tough, you were joyful. You can do hard things. 
 


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment